国家AAAA级旅游景区

Park profile


Age-old Cypress
In the 10th Century, Beijing was denominated the “Southern Capital” of the Liao Dynasty as its auxiliary capital. This site is the location of Xingguo Temple which was once situated in the northeastern suburb of the city. The cypresses are a remnant of the temple, the biggest of which has a trunk perimeter of approximately 6.3m.


      Intertwining Cypress and Locust Tree
The locust tree grows out of a crack in the trunk of the cypress and the two trees become one; hence the name “intertwining cypress and locust tree”. The naturally formed plants make an interesting scenery in the garden.   


Tanghuawu
Built in 1915, Tanghuawu (a greenhouse for flowers by the waterside) was rebuilt in 1936 at the original site. It is of reinforced concrete structure with eaves of malachite green glazed tiles. Viewed from above, it is in the shape of swallow wing with a double-eaved octagonal pavilion structure in the center and a domed roof. The whole structure is of primitive simplicity, elegance and solemnity. It is a place where famous and fine flowers are on display all the year round and flower exhibitions with special subjects are held.


Etiquette Rehearsal Pavilion
In the Qing Dynasty, the pavilion was inside the Yamen of Honglu Temple. Later, it was moved to the Ministry of Rites and became a place where officials practiced and rehearsed the etiquette needed when received by the emperor. In 1915, the pavilion was moved to the present site.


Sheji Altar (Altar to the god of the Land and Grain)
The altar was built in 1420 in the Ming Dynasty by following the system of “Ancestor Temple on the left and God Temple on the right” stipulated in The Chou Rituals. In Chinese, sheji represents the gods of the land and the grain. Inside the altar stands a terrace called Wusetu, literally meaning five colors earth. The body of the altar is three layers of square terraces made from white marble with earth of five colors covering the top. The five colors are arranged in five directions, namely, yellow in the middle, green in the east, red in the south, white in the west and black in the north, to connote the idea of “all the land under the sun belongs to the emperor”. The square stele in the center of the earth is named “Shezhu Stone” or “Jiangshan Stone”, which carry the meaning of “eternity of the throne”. In the Ming and Qing Dynasties, emperors would hold ceremony to offer sacrifices to the gods of the land and the grain in the second and the eighth lunar months every year. 


Peace Safeguarding Arch
Previously named “Klinder Monument”, the arch was built in 1903. In June 1900, German envoy Klinder who was involved in the suppression of Boxer Uprising, was killed by the Qing army. In 1902, Peace Treaty of 1901 was signed between the Qing government and 11 imperialist countries, which included the clause of “erecting a monument for Klinder”. Therefore, the arch was built in the street of Dongdan North Street, west of the Xizongbu Hutong, which is as wide as the road.

After WWI, the arch was shifted here and was renamed “Memorial Arch to Victory of the Truth” in 1919. In 1952, the name was changed into “Peace Safeguarding Arch” to commemorate the “Asian Pacific Peace Conference” convened in Beijing. The words of “Safeguarding Peace” were written by Guo Moruo.


Pavilion of Maxims
The Pavilion is also called Yaoyan Pavilion or Yaoshi Pavilion. It was built in 1915 and moved to the present place in 1918. Originally, the inside of stone columns was engraved with maxims of ancestors, which were erased in the early days of the People’s Republic of China.
The maxims on the eight pillars were: Zhuzi: To acquit oneself well of a duty is called faithfulness, to give consideration to others the way one consider for himself is called tolerance; Mencius: households are the foundation of a state and individuals are the foundation of a family; Zisi: He (The superior man) cherishes his old knowledge, and is continually acquiring new. He exerts an honest, generous earnestness, in the esteem and practice of all propriety; Wang Yangming: knowledge is the precondition of action and action is the result of knowledge; Danshu: When righteousness overcomes craving, one will prosper; when craving overcomes righteousness, one will decline; Yue Fei: government officials do not lust for money and military officers do not fear death; Chengzi: Practice of holy wards though one’s life Keeping respectful; Confucius: From ancient times, death has come to all men, but a people without confidence in its rulers will not stand. 


Lanting Eight-column Pavilion
The pavilion is a remnant of Yuanmingyuan. Carved on the façade of the stone tablet in the pavilion are the Picture of Renovating Lanting Pavilion and The Notes of the Jin Dynasty. Inscribed on the shady side is a verse composed by Emperor Qianlong of the Qing Dynasty. Inscribed on the eight columns of the pavilion are copies of Wang Xizhi’s (Jin Dynasty) Lantingxu by Tang Dynasty calligraphers Yu Shinan, Chu Suiliang, Feng Chengsu and Liu Gongquan, Dong Qichang’s (Ming Dynasty) imitated version of Liu Gongquan’s Lanting Poem as well as copies of the Langting Anthology and Lanting Poem by Emperor Qianlong.


Green Cloud Rock
The rock is regarded a twin with the Qingzhixiu Rock in the Summer Palace. Excavated from Fangshan Mountain in Beijing, it is free and natural and full of power and grandeur by appearance, just like a green piece of cloud. It was the collection of Mi Wanzhong, Chamberlain for the Imperial Study of the Ming Dynasty, and was moved to Shangzhai Room in Yuanmingyuan by Emperor Qianlong. In 1925 the rock was moved to Zhongshan Park and was at the present site since 1971. The name of the rock was inscribed by Emperor Qianlong and originally there were eight poems written by the emperor on it, which had been erased already.


Green Lotus Rock
The stone is among the best of its kind in Beijing’s gardens. In the Southern Song Dynasty, it was placed in Deshou Palace of Emperor Zhao Gou and was named lotus stone. In 1751 during his first visit to the South, Emperor Qianlong saw this rock and loved it so much that he had it sent back to Beijing and relocated it in front of Taixu Room in Qian Garden of Yuanmingyuan. The emperor inscribed the name “Green Lotus” for the rock. In 1927, it was moved to Zhongshan Park. The rock has a very beautiful interlaced grain and bears a beauty of hollowness with many apertures. After the rain, it becomes wet and takes on a color of light pink which resembles the sunset clouds. The white dots in the grain are like snow flakes. The unique beauty of the scene makes it a rare treasure. In Buddhist scripts, green lotus represents wisdom, e.g., “green lotus in the eyes”.




Copyright © 2015 版权所有 中山公园 ICP备案编号:京ICP备12052119号